Monday, November 4, 2013

Twentieth Week in the Field



Malo e lelei!

This week has been a really great, but kind of a bummer too.  So, originally, we had two investigators with baptismal dates (Tivursio and Linda).  Tivursio still is on for the 30th of November, but Linda isn't on for the 9th anymore.  We're having some difficulties in getting her to come to church and keep some of her commitments.  Even though Tivursio still has a date, we didn't have the chance to see him or Gloria this week at all.  Apparently, Gloria got really sick and they haven't been able to meet with us.  Please pray for all of them!

This week, Hermana Faletau and I were in the room when Sister Appel and Sister Heslop got a phone call from Sister Ramirez (Ezra's mom).  She told them that she didn't want them to meet with him anymore and that they'd call when they were ready.  This broke my heart like no other.  They didn't even get a chance to meet him.  They only had met Bro. Ramirez and Kyle.  I pray for their whole family everyday and ask that you all pray for them too.  It's really hard to see investigators making so much progress and have such a strong desire and then something happen that hinders them.  It's just like the Foltz family all over again...

On a more positive note...At District Meeting, our zone leaders told us all about the zone goals that they had come up with, including, prayer/faith, sacrifice, and the Atonement. They asked us to prayerfully consider something that we could give up. For this transfer, I decided to give up sweets and snack food for the purpose of just merely snacking. As I thought about it, I realized that I spend way to much money on just snack food and sweets and that I'm a lot more tired when I eat those foods. I'm really excited to continue doing this through the rest of the transfer, so I can focus more on the Spirit and the work. I know that I'll be able to have more energy to help those around me.

On Tuesday, Hermana Faletau and I had a really neat experience. We were on our way to see an investigator, but when we got there, he wasn't there. His daughter said that he would be back in a little bit, so we decided to knock a few houses. We walked by this one house and saw a man sitting out front, so we decided to talk to him. His name is Junior and it turns out that he saw us walking by to go see the other investigator, but when we passed, he prayed and asked Heavenly Father to have us come back and talk to him about the word of God. When he told us this, I was so impressed. It's amazing how Heavenly Father will literally put people in front of us so we can share the gospel with them. It was a wonderful eye-opening experience for me. 
Last night, Hermana Faletau, Sister Appel, Sister Heslop, and started talking about the importance of the family in the gospel. Before I came on my mission, I really wanted to get married and have an eternal family, but the more that I've been on my mission, I've realized that it's so much more than I gave it credit for. Having the opportunity to teach about it everyday to those here in Moorpark has just solidified my desire. I'm so grateful for the ability that we have to establish families here on earth, but even more importantly for eternity. I really want this mission to help me become the wife and mother and person that Heavenly Father wants me to be. 
I love the branch here SO MUCH!! I loved the MP1st ward, but the members in the branch are just so loving and welcoming.  Every week, everyone has to hug and kiss everyone and say hi before Sacrament Meeting starts.  We get to be a part of the choir to help them out too!  Every Tuesday, we get to go to the church building and see almost everyone there too.  I love them so much, but (I'm sorry) they're all pretty tone deaf.  It's so sweet, though, because they pour their entire soul into what they're singing and the Spirit is always so strong.  So...because we're in Moorpark, we only get to eat dinner with members who live in Moorpark (which is like three families), BUT they're all really nice.  One family, the Aguilar's, sign up to feed us every Sunday.  When we went to eat with them yesterday, they told us that they might have two referrals for us, but not quite yet!  Their family is so sweet!  They only have one active son (Mattiew), but he has a really strong testimony and sets the example for his two older brothers.  I am so happy to be able to be serving here in Moorpark still, but I know that I'll probably end up being transferred after this one.  I really hope not though. 

I love living with three other sisters.  It's so much more fun that just my companion, but I still love her!  It just mixes up the day and daily we get to hear about miracles they've seen and we get to tell them about miracles that we've seen. 

So, my Tongan is coming along quite nicely!  The perks of having a Tongan companion are the greatest.  I can now officially bear my testimony in the language of her people! 

PABLO IS PROBABLY THE COOLEST OLD HISPANIC MAN THAT I'VE EVER MET!  He has such a desire to do what's right and help other's know about the truth.  This week, as we were picking guavas off his tree (like we do every time we go), he started singing for us!  Apparently, he used to be a professional singer after he was done with boxing.  He's so full of surprises!

Thank you so much for all the love and support that you've all given me!  Just remember to keep spreading the word and "stand as a witness [of Jesus Christ] at all times, and in all things, and in all places" (Mosiah 18:9).  I love you all!

Ofa lahi atu,

Hermana Halliday


Happy Halloween!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment