Monday, August 12, 2013

Eighth Week in the Field



Hola Everyone!!

This week has been great!!  I have definitely learned a lot about how to be patient not only with others, but myself as well.  Training is a little difficult, especially when we're put in uncomfortable situations and I have to step it up and get it under control.  Every day, Hermana Smith and I have faced different challenges whether it be literally knocking all day and not talking to anyone or having people want to argue with us or our appointments falling through, but after each disappointment, we talk about how it went, what we could have done better, and the importance of keeping positive attitudes.  We don't have that many people to teach in English, which is what we're supposed to be doing, but this week we found out that even though we're not assigned to the Spanish branch, WE CAN TEACH IN SPANISH!!  If the investigators that we find are in Moorpark, we can teach them!!  We're both really excited about this!  

We got to go on exchanges this week with Hermana Bartschi and Hermana Coleman.  They're so sweet and we both learned so much.  I was with Hermana Coleman.  I learned so much about how to be a better trainer and how to be more diligent and persistent while still carrying the Spirit in my message.  I still can't believe I'm training, but I've definitely been able to see the miracles that the Lord has placed in my life to help me get through it.  

Yesterday, we had the unfortunate opportunity to talk to a referral that only wanted to prove us wrong.  He was a very educated man and had "read up" on the church.  The Spirit left very quickly, so all we could do was testify and get the heck out of the situation.  It amazes me that no matter what we say some people still won't listen to our message or think about the possibility that it could be true.  

Hermana Smith is really fun to work with.  Sometimes, she gets a little over passionate about some things, but in the end everything works out.  She's from Vermont and loves to ride motorcycles in addition to singing, playing sports, and other various fun things.  She was in the intermediate class for Spanish at the MTC too, so it helps that we're kind of on the same level.  The only advantage that I have is the experience in the field to listening to people.  

The baptisms that were scheduled in Paso haven't happened yet as far as I know, but please still keep them in your prayers.  We still haven't made contact with two of our investigators with baptismal dates yet (partially because one is still in China), but the one that we have met and are working with is great!  He has a really positive attitude and has no problem with keeping the commitments we're giving him.  He loves reading the Book of Mormon and knows that it will help him in his life. 

This week in church, we got a new Bishopric!  It was kind of awkward because we still hadn't really talked with the old Bishop yet, but now we get a fresh start.  All three of the new members of the Bishopric seem great and we can't wait to get to work with them.  I still miss the leadership in Paso, but each day Moorpark is growing on me.  

As far as my district goes, we have Hermana Smith and I, Sister Dixon, Sister Snow, Elder Crandell, Elder Deschartes (sp?), Elder Eastman (ZL), and Elder Van Every (DL & ZL).  They're all awesome and all have great personalities.  I hope that we'll be able to work effectively to build up Zion.

Thanks for all the love and support!  You're all in my prayers and I can feel your prayers!!

Con amor, 

Hermana Halliday

 Sarah the Trainer and her new companion, Hermana Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment