Monday, January 20, 2014

Thirty-first Week in the Field



Hola Everyone!

We didn't really get to go out that much again this week, but I'm starting to feel better overall. The past few days I was really tired and stressed, but that's probably because of everything else going on around me in Moorpark with the other sisters getting sick. Today is a lot better though! I woke up and I was still a little weak, but I didn't have any headaches. I'm really glad that I'm recovering. It's been really sad staying in the apartment and seeing Sister Anderson and occasionally Sister Jones suffering and not being able to do much about it. I'm really excited to start feeling better again and help out where I can. 

These past few days, I've been starting to get depressed because there's hardly any work being done in Moorpark. Sister Anderson and Hermana Shepherd both asked me if I was thinking about going home (they told me I looked horrible), but I look worse than I feel. I can feel my body fighting whatever I have. I've also had a lot of time to think about why I'm in the field and even more specifically in Moorpark. I'm so thrilled that I get to stay here for now five transfers, but I feel like hardly anyone stays in one place for that long. I've decided that the Lord needed me here to help out in Moorpark 1st Ward along with the Branch. With first Sister Appel getting sick and going home and now Sister Anderson going through the same thing, I feel like I've been able to help out so much because I spent three months in that ward. I'm really grateful for this opportunity to help out. This week we're going to hit the ground running.

Yesterday, Sister Jones (Moorpark 2nd Ward), had to go home because of health issues...please pray for her.  Because she went home, Sister Morrison (comps with Sister Anderson in Moorpark 1st) is now companions with Sister Mapa in Moorpark 2nd.  Sister Anderson is now in a tri-panionship with Hermana Shepherd and I for now.  She's probably going to go home this week though too because of illness, so Hermana Shepherd and I will probably end up serving in the branch as well as Moorpark 1st Ward.  Although I'm really sad and upset to see them go, I'm really excited to be able to work with Moorpark 1st again.  

Pablo is doing so great. He's such a sweet and caring old man. Every time we visit him, I can feel his testimony getting stronger and stronger as he's preparing to go to the temple. I've been able to see him get happier and happier over the past six months of working with him. This gospel has truly blessed his life more than anything else has. 

We had Stake Conference this weekend and it was amazing. At the adult session, the Stake Presidency spoke, but during the general Sunday session, we watched a broadcast from Salt Lake City.  The stake presidency and others focused a lot on how the youth can get more involved with hastening the work of salvation. It's so exciting to see the youth of today getting more and more focused and excited in preparing to serve missions and bring others unto Christ. They're such an example to me. I absolutely loved the talk that President Eyring gave too about how to invite family members to come closer unto Christ as well. Even though I don't really have any family that's inactive or not members, it inspired me to reach out to really those I love outside my family even more. They practically are like family and it would be really sad to not have them see the blessings in their life that they can have that we, as members of the church, do. 

I felt like this week I learned a lot about patience in afflictions and trials. I was reading an article in the January 2013 Ensign entitled "Thy Will Be Done." It talked about a young man that was suffering from cancer and the first verse of Doctrine and Covenants 121 popped into his head followed by verses 7-9. It was really inspiring to me how he dealt with his trial even though he ended up passing away. I've had the chance this week (in addition to last week) to study Doctrine and Covenants 121-123 again. They've been such a strength to me and, even though I don't have cancer or am dying, I had the impression that everything would be okay and that the Lord was watching out for me. I know that I have so much more to do here in Moorpark and during the rest of my mission that the Lord will help me through it. 

My companion is doing wonderfully as usual and she is such an inspiration to me.  She loves the work and, although she's going a little stir crazy (me too), we're excited to get back out and working.  

Thanks for all the love and support!  I can feel your prayers helping me get better.  

Con amor, 

Hermana Halliday


 Me mocking a ballerina bush outside the grocery store.

 The district after our first post-transfer district meeting.

The Hermanas in my district.  Same as last transfer!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment